Employee Separation of Relationship


Where under an order or agreement, a person becomes entitled to a portion of a pension benefit credit, the person is only entitled to transfer that benefit

(a) to another pension plan in which the person is a member, if permitted by the terms of that plan; or

(b) to a Locked-In Retirement Account (LIRA) or Life Income Fund (LIF).


Separation of Relationship


A member’s pension or, if the pension has not commenced, the member’s or former member’s pension benefit credit may be divided if

(a) pursuant to an order of the Court of Queen’s Bench made under The Family Property Act, family assets of the member or former member or his or her spouse, former spouse or common-law partner are required to be divided;

(b) pursuant to a written agreement between the member or former member and his or her spouse, former spouse or common-law partner, their family assets are divided; or

(c) a division of the pension or the pension benefit credit, as the case may be, is required by

(i) an order of a court of competent jurisdiction in another province or territory of Canada, or

(ii) an order of the Court of Queen’s Bench regarding a common-law relationship.




 The following options are applicable:

  • Equal division of benefits

  • Net difference division of benefits if both are members of pension plans

  • Waive the division of benefits


Requesting a Statement


Either party or their legal counsel can request a statement of benefits. If someone other than the member makes the request, the information is automatically sent to the member.


In order for the CSSB to provide a statement for separation of relationship, a written request or e-mail is required with the following information or the attached form can be completed and returned to our office:

  • Member’s name and either employee number, PIN number or SIN,

  • Member’s date of birth,

  • Former spouse or partner’s name and birthdate,

  • Full date of marriage or co-habitation,

  • Full date of separation, and

  • Mailing address for all parties you would like the information sent to.


CSSB Relationship Breakup Calculation Request Form


The request can be mailed to the Civil Service Superannuation Board c/o Lorraine Fidler or e-mailed to lfidler@cssb.mb.ca


The Civil Service Superannuation Board of Manitoba

Member-focussed  -  Future-focussed

Return to CSSB Home Page

Accessibility Information


Online member services and website information provided by the Civil Service Superannuation Board relate almost exclusively to the Civil Service Superannuation Fund and Public Service Group Insurance Fund plans. Any information on other plans the Board administers or for which it provides services would be identified as such, and only information identified as such or in an identified document applies to that particular plan. We recommend you get detailed personalized information from the Board before making any decisions. This website is meant to summarize our available information, requirements, procedures and policies on a general basis only. All persons making use of this site are reminded that The Civil Service Superannuation Act and its Regulations should be consulted for specific legislative requirements. 


© 2021 by CSSB Communications